All Blog News>I found my head in a charity shop...

I found my head in a charity shop...

I found my head in a charity shop...

In a vague attempt at a spring clean, we sorted out some of our finished demo pieces and donated them to a cancer research shop. The manager has since told me that our donations caused quite a stir, and all the pieces flew out in no time. We hope that as well as raising money for a good cause, it has inspired some folks in our local area to get creative.

We LOVE having a rummage in charity shops, they often prove to be treasure troves for potential up-cycling projects. If you've ever seen us at craft exhibitions, you may have spotted our funky drying chambers - they were originally stereo units, we paid 50p each for them and transformed them into works of art with Powertex. We've said it before but we'll say it again... The only limit is your imagination.

This month's blog project was inspired by a beautifully carved wooden head... Originally from Indonesia, but more recently found gathering dust in a charity shop in Redditch. The components for the project are as follows...

The wooden head
A wine bottle (empty, of course!)
Cotton yarn
A wooden sofa foot
Yellow, Bronze and Transparent Powertex
Rusty powder
Yellow and red Powercolor
Dyed Marino wool
An old cotton scarf

Corrugated cardboard


You may have guessed from the list of components that this project was much like a meal prepared at the end of the week when you need to get some shopping in, you just throw together whatever's left in the cupboard and hope for the best...

You've probably spotted the wooden bases we sell. Combined with our plaster heads, they're ideal for creating beautiful, elegant figures. In this project though, in the spirit of up-cycling, I used a wine bottle for the body of my figure, and a sofa foot as the base. I padded out the neck of the bottle with scrunched up tinfoil and then attached the wooden head with masking tape. Once everything was secure, I wrapped cotton yarn tightly around the bottle, to create a nicer surface to apply the Powertex.

I painted Yellow Powertex onto the yarn, (rubbing it in with my hands to make sure the yarn was well covered). I then pushed a little rusty powder onto the yarn while the Powertex was still wet. (We're still very excited about our new rusty powder!!) For further guidance on how to create the rust effect, you can download a manual from our Rusty Powder page.

Figure with yarn wrapped around

Once that base layer was dry, it was time for the draping. I massaged Bronze Powertex through an old textured scarf and draped it around the body of the figure. To cover the base (sofa foot), I dipped corrugated cardboard in Bronze Powertex – we love the texture this creates and it looks great when it’s dry brushed. I also had some red and yellow merino wool lying around from my felting days, so I used Transparent Powertex on it and draped around the shoulders of my figure to create something similar to a fur stole.

I finished the figure off by dry brushing with Yellow Ochre and Red Powercolour.

figure with marino woolfigure with corrugated cardboard

Et voilá!

figure full

If you would like to put a smile on one of your friends’ faces by making them an upcycled gift with Powertex, feel free to contact a Powertex Tutor near you, who will be happy to help.

Watch this space for the next blog post. I'll be explaining how I made this little fellow...

Owl